The trees in this set are outdoor trees and come in 2 1/4" pots as shown. They can be planted in full sun with good-draining soil. Let them dry out a bit in between watering sessions if they are grown in a container, to avoid over-watering.
- As a group, hardy to -20F
- As a group, Heat hardy zones 8 - 1
- Winter Maintenance: Clean out the dead leaves inside the shrubs when you see it, it's called "conifer dieback."
- Full sun - avoid that hot, summer afternoon sun while they are little
- Let container soil dry out to barely damp in between watering
- All are outdoor plants
- Come in 2 1/4" pots
From left to right as they appear in the photos:
Thoweil Hinoki Cypress - Chamaecyparis obtusa ‘Thoweil’
The Thoweil is new hinoki cypress for your miniature garden with an upright and narrow growth habit. The small, deep green foliage with the naturally sculpted upright habit will add a stately specimen to any miniature garden scene.
- Growth: 3" to 6” per year
- Shape: Upright narrow
- Hardiness: Cold hardy Zones 5-8 or to -20F
- Heat Hardy: Heat Zones 8-1
- Light: Full sun to part shade
- Water: Regular water if in a pot, let dry out to damp in between watering
- Maintenance: Clean out the dead leaves inside the shrub when you see them
- Tips may turn bronze or amber in the colder areas in winter, it's 'winter blush'
Fernspray Gold Hinoki Cypress - Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Fernspray Gold'
A favorite. This dainty looking Hinoki cypress is just a gem to grow in your miniature garden. The foliage is a rich emerald green just the summer months, and they blushes in an array of amber tones in the cold months. The branches arch out in a whimsical way from the center of the tree, and it looks like a full-sized tree in miniature when the bottom branches are trimmed away to show some of the trunk. One of my favorite Hinokis.
- full sun
- regular water, damp soil
- excellent for bonsai or miniature gardening
- growth: less than 3" per year
- zone 4 - 8, hardy to -20 F
- heat zones 8 - 1
- full sun to part sun
- shelter the pot from the extreme hot sun in late afternoon in the summer
- regular water
- if in a pot, let dry out to barely damp in between to avoid over watering
- comes in a 4” pot
- an outdoor plant
Blue Star Dwarf Juniper - Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star'
The blue-green foliage of the Blue Star Juniper stands out in any kind of garden, but it's particularly valuable when used as a miniature garden tree or shrub. Its branches are very pronounced and gives the scene a majestic look - but in miniature.
The colorful Blue Star Juniper can be paired with other gray-greens, silvers, creams, pinks and light greens for a charming display. The branches grow out from the trunk in a star shape, and the wee growth is pointed too - it's a "supah-star" for miniature gardening!
- Growth: 3 to 6"/yr
- Cold Zones 4 - 9 or hardy to -30 to -20
- Heat Zones 9 - 1
- Full sun
- Regular water until established
- Let dry out to barely damp in between to avoid over watering if in a container
- An outdoor plant
- Comes in a 4" pot
WE CAN ONLY GUARANTEE PLANTS SHIPPED BY PRIORITY MAIL.
Parcel post takes 7 to 10 days and puts a lot of stress on the trees during transit. We cannot guarantee any plants shipped this way - but it is your choice to make during checkout.
We recommend Priority Mail for a safe - and guaranteed - journey.
The shipping in this secure shopping cart is automatically calculated, all shipping charges are double-checked to ensure accuracy. If you have any questions regarding shipping costs or for anything else miniature garden, please don't hesitate to email Janit at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-352-0494.
We can only ship plants to the lower 48 States and Alaska. We are certified by the USDA.
We recommend that you print out this page to keep for reference.