Another one of our exclusive Miniature Garden Kits to make it easy to either jump-start your learning curve with this wonderful new hobby OR give it as an unique gift for that someone special.
Note that this kit does not include any miniature garden accessories so you can really personalize it - especially if you are giving it as a gift.
You'll need a pot, potting soil and about 2 to 3 hours - this kit can be done in one afternoon. It's very rewarding and cute too!
Inside This Kit:
- Mont Bruno English Boxwood, Buxus sempervirens 'Mont Bruno'
- Dwarf Mondo Grass, Ophiopogon japonicus 'Nana'
- Golden Baby Tears, Solierolia solierolii
Stone Sheet, Natural Gray Stone color
Miniature Pebbles, (Matching colors)
Mini Patio Mix Kit, Includes mix, sand, borders, skewers
Full color instructions for the Mini Patio Mix Kit, PDF
Miniature Garden Cheat Sheet, PDF
- PDFs will be sent via email to the email provided on the order unless specified.
- PDFs can be printed out on your printer, or saved to your computer/machine
Indoor Placement: The plants likes the brightest, indirect light that you can give it. Please use a "grow-lamp-bulb" to add light for the best success. Keep the soil at least damp and do not let the soil dry out between watering. Pot needs a drainage hold for the excess water to escape or the plants will rot. Can be moved outdoors in summer but avoid shocking the plants with any extreme temperatures changes.
Outdoor Placement: Part shade, bright shade or cool sun. This combination is hardy to about 0F or above freezing. The Boxwood is hardy to -20F. Can be moved indoors in the fall but avoid shocking the plants with any extreme temperatures changes. (Stage the garden gradually as you would a living Christmas tree.)
**PRINT THIS PAGE OUT FOR REFERENCE**
About the Plants
The plants are chosen to work in the same pot, or beside each other in a lightly shaded garden bed. The matching miniature bedding plants are coordinated with the tree for color, climate and texture. They can last in an 8 to 10" deep pot for up to five years. Bedding plants may need dividing after 2 to 3 years.
Mont Bruno Boxwood – Buxus sempervirens ‘Mont Bruno’
An indoor or outdoor plant for the miniature garden. Discovered in Quebec, this dwarf boxwood’s tiny, dark green leaves retain their color through winter temperatures. Small leaves perch just right on a tiny trunk that lifts it off the ground to make a “real” miniature garden tree. Hardier than the species.
The photos show the spring growth, that will turn back to the regular green color as it matures. Winter color is a dark green.
- Growth: Less than 3” to 6” per year
- Cold zones 4-8, or hardy to -30F
- Heat zones 8-6
- Full sun to part shade
- Boxwoods can be grown INDOORS with LOTS of indirect bright light and regular water. (Add light with a grow-bulb.)
- Globe shaped with cute trunk
- Regular water
- Don’t let it dry out between watering
- Fertilize after 2 years if planted in a container
- Comes in a 4” diameter pot
- Slow-growing, dark green form of the common boxwood
- Can be used in a variety of scales and many forms of miniature gardening
- Prune at any time, snip the stem just above a set of leaves to hide the cut
- Shear it into a fun topiary shape (trim no more than 1/3 of at a time)
- Prune it to keep its 'tree' look by taking off some of the lower leaves to show more trunk
Dwarf Mondo Grass - Ophiopogon japonicus 'Nana'
A favorite miniature grass that grows about 2" tall and slowly spreads on runners.
- Easy care, can be indoors or outdoors.
- Great color and texture.
- Small, lavender colored blooms turn to blue berries if it's happy
- Outdoor: part shade/full shade
- Indoor: bright indirect light
- Cold hardy to zones 7 - 10
- Heat hardy to zones 12 - 1
- Regular water let soil dry out to damp between watering
- Comes in a 4" pot
Golden Baby Tears - Angel Tears - Soleirolia soleirolii 'Aurea'
A very fun plant to grow in the smallest of miniature gardens. Can divide it right away. This is invasive in the ground in some areas of the States but can be easily removed or redirected - control judiciously by shovel pruning each spring and summer.
A perfect mini garden plant for pots or indoors, as it will cascade down the pot.
- outdoor: shade/part shade
- outdoor: do not let soil dry out
- outdoor: hardy to 0F, cold hardy zones 7 - 15
- outdoor: heat hardy 12 - 10
- if frozen in temperate regions, will go black but will come back
- invasive in some areas - check if planting in-ground
- indoor: bright, indirect light
- indoor: likes damp to moist soil
- indoor: likes open terrarium environments
- will trail down the side of pot
- comes in a 4" pot
- Want a different color of stone sheet or pebbles? Leave us a note or email us after you order!
- **Accessories not included! Choose Large Size / 1-inch scale.
- Potting soil and pot not included
- Use regular, all-purpose potting soil, without added fertilizer or polymers
- Pot recommendation: Minimum 8" high by 8" wide, must have a drainage hole. Get one with a saucer to catch the water run-off.
Our Guarantee: Make ONE and you'll know how to make the next one quickly and easily.
Can only be shipped to the lower 48 States and Alaska. We are registered with the USDA.
Sending back the joy Two Green Thumbs brings me!