The trees in this set are outdoor trees and come in 2 1/4" pots as shown. They can be planted in full sun to part sun with well-draining soil. Let them dry out to barely damp in between watering sessions if they are grown in a container, to avoid over-watering. Shelter them from that hot, western summer sun in warmer zones if planted in a container.
- As a group, cold hardy to zones 5-8, or to -20F
- Heat hardy zones 8-1
- Winter Maintenance: Clean out the dead leaves inside the shrub when you see it
- These are young, baby plants that will need shelter from the extremes
- All are outdoor plants
- Come in 2 1/4" pots
Compact Fernspray Cypress – Chamaecyparis obtusa ‘Filicoides Compacta’
Shown above with a little winter blush - the leaves turn colorful with the colder temperatures. This lovely hinoki grows more like a fern than a tree. A stunning gem for the miniature garden, the branches grow out from the base of the tree rather than along the trunk – thus the “Fernspray” name. You can prune it to keep its compact shape or just let it do what it does naturally. An unusual hinoki for the miniature garden that can stand alone as a focal point. A treat to grow.
- Growth: 6” – 12" per year – we’ve experienced it as being a slower-growing in our miniature gardens
- Shape: Upright broad
- Hardiness: Cold hardy Zones 5-8 or to -20F
- Heat Zones 8-1
Cumulus Sawara Cypress - Chameacyparis pisifera 'Cumulus'
'Cumulus' is a true miniature with a growth rate of less than 1" per year. It has a light, tufted cloud with dense, soft foliage that stays soft in maturity too.
- Wonderful blue-green color
- Gets an amber blush to the top in the cold months
- Growth: less than 1"/yr
- Cold hardy Zones 4-8 or to -30F
- Heat Zones 8-1 but avoid extremes to be safe
Primo Dwarf Arborvitae - Thuja occidentalis 'Primo'
The Primo is a great anchor tree for the miniature garden bed. With its ruggedness and finely textured dark green foliage, it really looks like a big forest tree - but in miniature. I imagine is it just as pleasurable to grow as the Zmatlik. Ideal for containers (at least 10" deep) or right in the garden bed.
- Upright narrow in shape
- Note that the winter color might a deep golden amber
- Hardy to -40F or Zones 2 - 7
- Heat zones 7 - 1
- Estimated growth rate is 2" to 5" per year
- Full sun to part sun
WE GUARANTEE OUR PLANTS SHIPPED BY PRIORITY MAIL.
The shipping in this secure shopping cart is automatically calculated, all shipping charges are double-checked by Steve to ensure accuracy. If there is any overcharges, which sometimes happen when ordering multiple trees, plants, stone and/or accessories, we will refund the difference once the order is packed and shipped.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email Janit at email@example.com, or call 206-352-0494 and leave a message if we miss you. We are a micro business and don't have a receptionist.
We can only ship plants to the lower 48 States and Alaska. We are certified by the USDA.
We recommend that you print out this page to keep for reference.
From Pam in OH:
“ My tree arrived today and it's beautiful. You guys are a treasure! “