The trees in this set are outdoor trees and come in 2 1/4" pots as shown. They can be planted in full sun with good-draining soil. Let them dry out a bit in between watering sessions if they are grown in a container, to avoid over-watering.
The Blue Star Juniper can tolerate a little more sun and drier soil than the other two Cypress, but never let the soil dry out completely. Protect these trees from extremes while they are young - they are baby trees.
- As a group, hardy to zone 4 / -30F
- As a group, Heat hardy zones 6
- Winter Maintenance: Clean out the dead leaves inside the shrubs when you see them. It's called 'conifer dieback.'
- Full sun - avoid that hot, summer afternoon sun while they are little
- Let container soil dry out to barely damp in between watering
- All are outdoor plants
- Come in 2 1/4" pots
From left to right:
Fernspray Gold Hinoki Cypress - Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Fernspray Gold'
A favorite. This dainty looking Hinoki cypress is just a gem to grow in your miniature garden. The foliage changes throughout the year. In spring, it is a rich emerald green color, then the foliage turns a wonderful gold color when the plant is kept in full sun. In the winter, the tree blushes in an array of amber tones if the temperatures are cold enough - see the third photo for the winter colors.
The branches arch out in a whimsical way from the center of the tree, and it looks like a full-sized tree in miniature when the bottom branches are trimmed away to show some of the trunk. One of my favorite Hinokis.
Trim in late winter if you want to keep it bushy.
- full sun
- regular water, damp soil
- excellent for bonsai or miniature gardening
- growth: less than 3" per year
- zone 4 - 8, hardy to -20 F
- heat zones 8 - 1
- full sun to part sun
- shelter the pot from the extreme hot sun in late afternoon in the summer
- regular water
- if in a pot, let dry out to barely damp in between to avoid over watering
- comes in a 4” pot
- an outdoor plant
Jersey Jewel Japanese Holly - Ilex crenata 'Jersey Jewel'
A favorite miniature garden plant - it is so cute! 'Jersey Jewel' is a smaller version of the well-known 'Dwarf Pagoda.' The densely set leaves are tapered to a point, and the green colored leaves are darker and richer. Irregular branching habit.
The tiny buds you see in the photos appear in mid-spring and bloom into the tiniest of flowers. Some of the flowers will turn to (inedible) berries for the summer.
- Leaves are thick and pointed
- Upright broad shape - eventually
- Grows 2" to 4" per year, (we think it's slower.)
- Hardy to cold zones 5-7, or to -20F
- Heat hardy zones 7-5
- Cool sun to part shade
- Regular water
- Fertilize lightly after 2 years if planted in a container
- Comes in a 4” diameter pot
- An outdoor plant
Jean's Dilly Dwarf Spruce - Picea glauca 'Jean's Dilly'
This is one of our favorite trees for miniature gardening and a best seller. This miniature Christmas tree, the Dwarf Spruce is a pleasure to grow year 'round. It keeps its shape over time with it dense, the new needles twist out of the ends of the branches in the springtime.
- good anchor tree for a miniature garden bed
- can be decorated for the holidays
- true diminutive form of the dwarf Alberta spruce
- pronounced 'John's Dilly' and named after its founder, Jean Iseli
- upright cone shape
- growth rate: 2 to 3" year
- cold hardy zones: 2 to 6, or -40F
- heat zones 6-1
- part or full sun
- regular water
- an outdoor plant
WE GUARANTEE OUR PLANTS SHIPPED BY PRIORITY MAIL.
The shipping in this secure shopping cart is automatically calculated, all shipping charges are double-checked by Steve to ensure accuracy. If there is any overcharges, which sometimes happen when ordering multiple trees, plants, stone and/or accessories, we will refund the difference once the order is packed and shipped.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email Janit at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 206-352-0494 and leave a message if we miss you. We are a micro business and don't have a receptionist.
We can only ship plants to the lower 48 States and Alaska. We are certified by the USDA.
It is here and arrived in perfect condition! I shall plant tomorrow. Thank you, thank you so much. This is my second order placed with you and I love every one of your impressive plants.